Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Memoirs Of The Dead

Day 1

I remember the sunlight burned my eyes as I groggily came out of the deep nap I had covertly slipped into. The house was quiet around me. I couldn't hear my parents upstairs, but then again the basement ceiling muffled most of the sounds from the house anyway. I felt like lying back down and napping another eight hours, but I needed to piss and was hungry. I was hoping my mom had breakfast made for me because I sure as hell didn't plan on making anything. I was always lazy like that. I fumbled my way up the stairs to see what the day had in store. If only I had known it was going to be the day my life was going to change forever I would have put on clean underwear.

I entered the kitchen; I couldn't hear anything going on in the house. I looked through the kitchen for something to eat. The fridge was sparse with nothing but condiments. I checked the pantry, followed by the cabinets with nothing to show. Getting fucking annoyed at the fact there was nothing to eat and my stomach was empty, I called out to my parents. Nothing. There was no movement and no sound. I called a few more times with the same empty response. I figured my parents must be at the store getting food, so I searched for a note. After looking in the usual places, I came up empty-handed with no idea where my parents were. I remember giving them a few, quick rings on their cell phone, but when that failed, I gave up and plopped myself in front of the TV.

I had been watching TV for what was close to 3 hours before my still empty stomach began to rumble again. Since I had been sitting there, starving with no idea where parents were hours, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I decided to head the dollar store down the road. I would've taken my car, but I hadn't had it running since high school. So I had a 10 minute walk instead of a 2 minute ride, but life has got a funny way of fucking you before you even know it.

The streets seemed quieter than usual as I strolled down to the store. No birds chirping, no bugs buzzing. Nothing. The walk seemed eerie even for the middle of the day. I felt my flesh chill and the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I sped my pace. I remember looking for some sign of civilization to calm my racing heart. I felt like a child awake in the middle of the night, staring nervously at an open closet, waiting for the beast within to appear in some hellish manner. The suburban road felt abandoned, and the houses along the road felt haunted as if I could sense something watching my every movement through the darkened windows. As I rounded the corner of the intersection, I could see the Dollar symbol on the store and it immediately calmed my anxiety.

Closing the distance to the store, the windows seemed darker than usual. I racked my brain thinking whether there was a holiday that could've kept the store closed but drew a blank and continued to make my way to the entrance. A few hundred feet from the store, I could see a mysterious shape on the glass doors. A blob of some sort like someone had thrown black paint against it. The closer I got to the doors, the more the blob began to change colors before my eyes from black to red. Within a hundred feet of the store, I could see that is wasn't a blob at all; instead it looked as though it was the smear from a bloody hand or some other injured body part. I froze dead in my tracks, unable to comprehend why there would be blood on the store front doors. I looked around, noticing the parking lot around me was empty. Had someone been hurt? A quick flash in the corner of my eye snatched me from my thoughts. Fucking Movement! I thought there may have been something moving inside the store. I waited in dead silence. Terror was building in the back of my head. Tunnel vision set in. Gooseflesh overtook my skin again.

So many thoughts were running through my head at that point I couldn't even comprehend what I should do. My mind became overwhelmed with curiosity and I began to inch closer to the store. My eyes darted back and forth from the blood on door to the blackness inside. Another flash in the corner of my eye, and I was sure I had seen movement. I was now within 50 feet of the store. I peered hard into the dark abyss of the store. My heart thumped hard in my ears, and I forced my eyes to focus. A silhouette appeared from the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment